Tuesday, August 14, 2012

An A-mason-ing Chandelier

I recently went on a search for the perfect lighting piece to hang over my work table in the JJTulum studio. I could not find anything perfect so I commissioned my ever-clever husband to dream up something pretty and creative with a set of Mason Jars my mama gave me on my last trip home. Sure enough, he turned it into a masterpiece!!!
I was going to turn this into a DIY but with all of the electrical components I did not want to be responsible for anyone burning their house down so I will just show you a few of the steps and feel free to contact us if you want some more info...
As reclaimed wood was pathetically expensive we purchased pine boards from Home Depot and then took out all of our pent up frustration and stress on the them with hammers, a bag of screws, heavy chunks of wood, and anything else that would make intricate markings. One technique we found looked great was to place the head of a nail on the wood and hit the point with a hammer, then turn it around and drive the tip of the nail into the wood and pull it out again, giving it the look of old nails having been used before. Here's how it looked:
We used a wood plane and shaved off long strips of wood on the corners, using varying amounts of pressure to give it an uneven look. After sanding each board down we applied two different oil-based wood stains to give color texture and bring out the markings in the wood.
Our studio has taken on a bit of a country-shabby-chic-industrial feel...haha...how is that for combining styles. So being, leg bolts were a perfect industrial touch for the piece. Look how the stain made the nail holes look old too...
It was a very fun project to help with and the end product is even more than I imagined it would be! Take a look:
The radio bulbs give off such a warm light and while I teetered between spending the extra on funky bulbs or just using regular light bulbs, in the end they were totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below. Choose Name/URL to enter your name if you do not have a login.