Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY 1-of-26: The Picture Frame Candle Holder

Wandering through the clearance aisles at the store the other day I found an adorably hideous picture frame. It was $3, with chipping gold paint, a broken clasp on the back, and no way to hang or stand on its own. I fell in love! I bought it and set it on my coffee table for a few days in hopes of being inspired to make it something beautiful…this is what I dreamed up!

And here is how you can make your own:
Supplies:
  • Any round picture frame
  • Candle
  • Decorative paper of fabric
  • Felt (Use a color that will match your spray paint)
  • Pen 
  • Screwdriver
  • Spray adhesive (I like KRYLON Easy-Tack)
  • Spray Paint
  • Super Glue
  • Gorilla Glue

 #1: Remove the backing, glass, and any cardboard from the frame. Use the screw driver to remove any and all hardware from the back, leaving with you a completely smooth back.

#2: Place the frame on the felt and trace around the outside of the frame with pen, cut well inside the circle line, making sure that if your frame has holes your felt is cut smaller and will not be seen from the top.

#3: Spray paint the frame, using whatever color you chose. You may need to use a primer to ensure that your paint will stick, but I did not and it turned out fine. It may take multiple coats to get the color even and all of the crevices painted and smooth. My paint was very old and came out splotchy and uneven at first, but I decided I liked the character and uneven pattern so I used multiple coats to make it evenly uneven! Ha. Allow to dry for 24 hours after the last coat.
#4: Use the paper insert or glass from the frame and trace a circle on your fabric or paper and cut it out exactly on the line. Clean the glass well and allow it to dry. Then spray the inside of the glass with the spray adhesive and stick it onto the decorative side of your paper/fabric. REMEMBER: Glue side to decorative (or "correct" side) of paper/fabric. Stick it under something heavy until dry.
#5: Using a thin strip of Gorilla Glue, line the underside of the frame and set the glass in. Add another strip of glue and lay the back of the frame in. Lastly, using the Super Glue, place a thin strip around the frame and lay your felt on the back. TIP: Be careful with the amount of Gorilla Glue you use as it expands when it dries. If you use too much it will ooze out onto the glass on the front of the frame...do not ask me how I know this! ;0)
#6: Place the entire thing on a hard surface (I made a "frame sandwich" with paper towel to protect my counters) and place something heavy on top to give firm, even pressure. This is where Devin's first-year medical books came in very handy! Let dry overnight, and voilĂ , a masterpiece!!!

Here is my coffee table's new BLING!!! Enjoy making your own candle holders, I would love to hear how they went and see pictures of your beauties too! Have a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below. Choose Name/URL to enter your name if you do not have a login.